In the photo above you’ll see a Valarm Industrial IoT sensor solution for monitoring fleet vehicles, trucks, and trailers.
We integrated this specific combination of sensors together for a large, global package shipping and courier delivery services company. It’s quite useful for a variety of businesses like industrial cleaning companies that have fleets of chemical cleaning vehicles, for which you need to monitor trucks as well as the mobile assets / industrial equipment like vacuums, hydroblasters, and pumps!
This Industrial IoT application has a variety of sensors all connected to a GSM sensor hub that sends the GPS / GNSS location data to Tools.Valarm.net as often as you’d like, along with your choice of Industrial IoT factors like:
- Tire pressure and temperature for each tire via the Doran Tire Pressure Management System (TPMS) to alert you of tire air leaks and changes in tire temperature to help you optimize tire life span and gas mileage efficiency
- Whether doors, latches, any switches are open or closed
- Presence of cargo using ultrasonic and infrared distance sensors
- Water or fluid presence in case of a leak that risks damage to your goods
- Temperature, humidity, pressure for reefer trailers and cold chain solutions
- Gyroscope, accelerometer, and compass to detect trailer movement in X, Y, and Z dimensions so you know if the vehicle is oscillating or if there’s been a rollover and the trailer is on its side
- Equipment Run-Times – Trackers, Counters, and Data Loggers so you automatically know how long your assets and industrial equipment, e.g., pumps, generators, motors, have been running and when it’s due for maintenance
All of this hardware goes into a durable, tamper and weather-proof enclosure that can be powered with each vehicle’s power or even a separate solar power system. The geo-tagged vehicle sensor information is sent to Tools.Valarm.net in real-time where you and your team can easily map, graph, analyze, or forward the data via our APIs to your endpoints, business intelligence or GIS system like the Esri ArcGIS platform.
On the right you see example fleet vehicle tracking maps from Tools.Valarm.net with geo-sensor data from this vehicle monitoring system. Clicking any point on the map shows you the information Valarm got from the sensors at that moment in time like latitude, longitude, doors open or closed, water, temperature, humidity. Here’s a list of key sensor hardware we used:
- Valarm connector device / sensor hub that connects to sensors and sends data to Tools.Valarm.net
- Shield / daughter board that adds more sensor ports for connecting additional monitoring hardware to the Valarm connector device
- 0-10V sensor adapter connected to an ultrasonic distance sensor and an infrared distance sensor for detecting presence or absence of cargo
- Yocto-Knob sensor adapter for connecting to 1) water ropes to detect water leaks / presence of liquid and 2) magnetic door switches to know when and where a door is opened or closed
- Yocto-3D sensor for detecting things like trailer behavior and rollover, this sensor has a ton of functionality like detecting orientation, tilt, a movement or a magnetic field
- Meteo micro-climate sensor that monitors temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure for your reefer trailers, medical transport, cold chain tracking, or any packages and cargo that you need maintained in specific ambient environmental conditions
- Yocto-GPS GNSS location sensor that has a 32 channel receiver for GNSS signals from GPS and GLONASS satellites, used to determine position (latitude & longitude coordinates) and velocity / speed
- RS-232 sensor adapter to connect to the wireless Tire Pressure Management System (TPMS) that sends psi tire pressure and temperature information to Tools.Valarm.net. Real-time alerts are also sent for when a tire has a fast leak or a sudden change in tire temperature.
- More on the TPMS is available in this blog post!
- Had to brush back up on bitwise operations to get the raw sensor data from the Tire Pressure Management System (TPMS) connected to the RS-232 sensor adapter since those tire pressure sensors report their air psi and temperature data in hex. We love getting Tools.Valarm.net software to work with any sensor so you can literally monitor anything, anywhere!
- Once again we’re amazed at the utility of the Yocto-Knob sensor adapter with 5 input channels of resistive sensors. In fleet tracking it’s super useful for any combination of water presence sensors, e.g., 1 along each side of the trailer and 1 down the middle, plus 2 magnetic door switch sensors telling you when and where doors are opened or closed. That’s 5 sensor factors all easily connected to 1 Yocto-Knob sensor.
- We’ve integrated with many 4-20mA distance / level sensors and in this setup we used the cost-effective 0-10V sensor adapter with infrared and ultrasonic distance sensors for detecting cargo presence. Remember that this is a great option if you don’t need to run your cables for a long distance since voltage will drop whereas amperage will not. For fleet tracking and vehicle trailer monitoring you’ll likely be running your cables for shorter distances, just inside the trailer, so it’s not a big deal. If you’re running the cables longer, raw 4-20mA sensors will be a better option since they can go up to a mile! See some long 4-20mA sensor cable runs we did in this Valarm deployment with solar powered tank level monitoring.
- Zipties / cable ties are also awesome for attaching sensors to a demo board!
Do you have vehicles, trucks, trailers, or other assets that you and your teams need to monitor and track?
Want to do it with a real-time Industrial IoT solution that’s open, rapidly deployable, and cost-effective? With Valarm your data is your data and it’s always available in any format you want. We’re flexible and happy to help you configure the best solution for your specific needs.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us at Info@valarm.net if you’ve got any questions on using Valarm sensor solutions to monitor anything, anywhere!