Valarm Press Kit
Lorenzo Gonzalez, CEO & Edward Pultar, President FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
firstname.lastname@example.org July 1, 2013
Silicon Beach, California, USA
Valarm ( http://www.valarm.net ) is the Versatile Asset Locator And Remote Monitor. Valarm was born when Lorenzo (Founder, CEO) woke up one morning to discover his precious, customized motorcycle had been stolen by professional thieves. Originally Valarm was conceived as an affordable and accessible theft-prevention and vehicle tracking device which Lorenzo would use himself to protect his replacement bike. Apparently thieves frequently check back after successfully stealing one vehicle: they know the owner has insurance and will eventually get a new one! Although it is still an excellent theft tracking solution, today Valarm has evolved into a general purpose platform for remote environmental monitoring, mobile data acquisition, and asset/vehicle tracking.
Valarm is an Android mobile app and integrated suite of web-based tools that will track almost anything via GPS, and remotely monitor almost any environment via built-in and external sensors. Commercial fleet managers use Valarm as a vehicle or container-tracking device with additional sensor information. Scientists use it as a remote environmental monitor (e.g., indoor air quality, IAQ) or mobile data acquisition platform. Consumers can use Valarm to track down their lost or stolen property, by configuring it as a motion-sensing or sound-sensing, GPS-enabled, anti-theft alarm and tracking device, or a powerful property monitor. Hobbyists can also use Valarm to monitor homes, gardens, aquariums, aquaponics or hydroponics. Farmers use it to remotely monitor their crops. Schools and businesses use it to monitor indoor air quality (IAQ, CO2 and VOCs) and improve decision-making and creative abilities. Get Valarm compatible sensors at shop.valarm.net.
- Volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
- Switches, potentiometers, or any sensor which operates by altering electric resistance
- Barometric pressure
- Status of vehicle OBDII (or OBD2: on-board diagnostics) including engine RPMs, throttle position, coolant temperature, and more.
Android and the flood of powerful, inexpensive Android devices create an opportunity for extremely useful, connected remote monitoring applications. Whether running on phones or tablets, a small, mobile, energy-efficient, and highly compute-capable platform such as Android is a very compelling platform for mobile data acquisition and remote environmental monitoring. Connected via cellular or WiFi, Valarm-equipped Android tablets and phones easily create the powerful “sensor-web” long dreamed-of by academia and research organizations, manufacturing, food & chemical storage, farms, and even hobbyists.
In other words, you can configure Valarm to send a text, email, or post to your account on http://tools.valarm.net, when any sensor is triggered by your settings, for example:
- Someone runs off with your camera bag/guitar/motorcycle
- Your A/C breaks down and your servers are overheating
- When does your office or classroom make you dumb? Monitor and alert based on CO2 levels (see Berkeley research)
- You want to know detect presence and level of water or be alerted of flooding
- The lights go out on your reef aquarium or hydroponics rig
- Your vehicle travels too far, too fast, or too close to a forbidden area (GPS geofence), or the accelerator is “floored” or the engine raced (OBD2 integration)
- Your vacation home is freezing and the pipes are about to burst
- What amount of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are you breathing?
- The humidity in your greenhouse drops and your orchids are drying up
- Your refrigerator breaks and your beer gets warm
- Many, many more applications are possible!
(images for distribution, click any image to enlarge)
(click image to enlarge)